It was designed by Louis Sullivan with decorative elements by George Elmslie. It was built in and was the first of Sullivan's "jewel boxes". Single-story wings, originally housing bank offices, extend along each side.
705 Olive Street Built: 1893, as the Union Trust Architect: Adler & Sullivan Status: Still in use as office space. Street facade altered, 1924. After the Wainwright, this is Louis Sullivan's other major surviving design in St. Louis. Its street-level facade, which featured massive and heavily ornamented circular windows at the second story, was considerably altered in 1924. A remnant of the round windows may still be seen on the west-side alley, however.