US soldiers moving the wounded. Battle of Attu, Alaska.
Bleak, mountainous Attu Island in Alaska had a population of only about 46 people prior to the Japanese invasion. On June 6, 1942, a Japanese force of 1,100 soldiers landed, occupying the island. One resident was killed in the invasion, the remaining 45 were shipped to a Japanese prison camp near Otaru, Hokkaido, where sixteen died while in captivity. This is a picture of Attu village situated on Chichagof Harbor.
Aleutian Islands in Alaska during World War II. - "Attu -- Guns in hand, a mop-up squad moves in to clean up this Jap gun emplacement on the west arm of Holtz Bay. The two Japs who held the position refused
Landing operations in Alaska. The beach and the bay during the occupation of the Aleutian Islands. In the background, can be seen many of th...
The Battle of Dutch Harbor took place on 3–4 June 1942, when the Imperial Japanese Navy launched two aircraft carrier raids on the United States Army barracks and the US Navy base at Dutch Harbor, during the Aleutian Islands Campaign of World War II. Aleutian Island Campaign.
June 23, 1943: U.S. Army reinforcements land on a beach in Attu, Alaska on during World War II. U.S. troops invaded Attu on May 11 to expel the Japanese from the Aleutians.
Landing boats pouring soldiers and their equipment onto the beach at Massacre Bay, Attu Island, Alaska. This is the southern landing force on May 11, 1943. The American and Canadian troops took control of Attu within two weeks, after fierce fighting with the Japanese occupying forces. Of the allied troops, 549 were killed and 1,148 wounded -- of the Japanese troops, only 29 men survived. U.S. burial teams counted 2,351 Japanese dead, and presumed hundreds more were unaccounted for.
A US Army mortar team dug in on Chicago Ridge on Attu, during the recapture of the Aleutian Islands/May 1943
1942. A soldier construction camp with sawmill along the ALCAN highway route. The road was originally constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers with the support of more than 10,000 soldiers. After the initial pioneer road was constructed the project was turned over to the U.S. Public Roads Administration who hired private contractors to complete the road and upgrade the temporary bridges with permanent ones.