St. Ives, Cornwall
This was taken in "Pudding Bag Lane" (Capel Court). The area was demolished (to the everlasting shame of the town council) in 1936 to make way for a car park. There was much anger at the time, but the authorities in the name of "slum clearance" called in the bulldozers anyway. Newlyn (and Mousehole) would have suffered a similar fate if WWII had not intervened. In the view of local historian Cyril Noall, in an article the St Ives Times and Echo, June 25 1982, the Town Council helped to…
EUROPE'S ONLY DOUBLE-ENDED DRY: Carlyon Farm Dry (or Kiln) (1930s) | Trenance, Cornwall: 'One dry, one furnace and two square stacks ... the only one in Europe ... Heat and smoke drawn through hypercaust floors from central furnace to both stacks. At Trethowel, above Bodmin Road, and accessible from the Clay Trail foot/cyclepath.' ✫ღ⊰n
Bodelva 2004. Before 'Eden' Bodelva produced approx. 40,000 tonnes per annum of refined china clay for the paper industry. Prior to the sale to 'Eden' it was operated by Goonvean ltd and staffed by 40 people. Eden, in its heyday 2010/11 was employing 250 people...well done!